January
Rang in the New Year at my friend Kate's cabin at Bear Lake. It was FREEZING! But gorgeous. This is what I got to wake up to:
Also in January, I became an adult and bought my first couch. Also worked on a lot of 30-before-30 goals.
February
Took a trip to Phoenix to visit my grandparents, and threw in some days working at our PHX office. Also got the secret family tutorial on how to make the most amazing pecan logs from my grandmother. "Saw" the Grand Canyon from the plane. As close as I've ever been. Someday...
March
Last minute decided to go on a trip to Zion National Park with Rushley and my parents. I was skeptical about camping in March, but my wonderful Dad brought me an air mattress and a tent heater. Can't get better than that.
Shamelessly stole these photos from Ashley.
Also in March, Shayne had a reunion concert for the BYU University Singers group in Provo. He came down with Molly, and during his rehearsals, Molly, Mom and I went to the farm at Thanksgiving Point.
Up close and personal with a cow.
April
I turned 30. To celebrate, I embarked on a trip with my friend-cousin Jessie to the UK & Ireland. I really can't do it justice here. Maybe I'll get around to giving it its own post. But suffice it to say, it was like coming home. I love England and its people so much. Additionally, visiting our ancestral island was just so marvelous. Despite the fact that our ancestors were pirates (or maybe because of that fact) it was great to feel connected to the MacNeils on the Isle of Barra.
Me on the Cow & Calf in Ilkley. I used to have lunch here on my mission quite regularly.
May
Returned home from Europe, but didn't stop traveling. Headed to Phoenix once again for a team meeting for work (my work team is global. My leader sits in PHX. With our VP in NYC and colleagues in England, India, and Florida).
Headed to Boise for Memorial Day. Celebrated with a service at the local Veteran's Cemetery.
Then spent the last weekend in Seattle. Took the nieces to the beach* because it was sunny out. Mind you, it was like 70 degrees. But the girls were excited. Molly was content to sit on the beach and eat Goldfish crackers (I joined her). Susan was more adventurous, "swimming" in the cold water.
*Despite living close to the ocean, the warmer beach is actually Lake Washington, so we headed there. It still has little waves.
June
#PerksoftheJob took me to New York, New York. The city so nice they named it twice. Went for a conference, stayed to be a cheesy tourist. Our NY office is right downtown across from the World Trade Center 9/11 Memorial. I stayed in a hotel just across the memorial, and had a great view out my window.
Great conference. Particularly great to meet so many of my colleagues in person. Out of the 100 or so communication people in the US, about 10 of us work outside of NY. But we all still interact regularly. Nice to put some names to faces.
After the conference, I decided to hit up some sites:
9/11 Memorial:
Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island
I also met up with my sweet cousin Rachel for lunch. Lovely to reconnect with her.
July
Quick trip to Boise for the Pioneer Day holiday. Tried to take the boat out... A few snafus there, as the engine has been having some troubles. Russ pushed us back to shore. Not because we needed him to, but because he wanted to see if he could.
August
Headed to Idaho once again for the bi-annual Holmes Family Reunion in Burley. Paddled a canoe, Hung out with the family, and watched people get rocketed into the air:
Rode up with Rushley, flew back with my uncles in the tiny plane.
September
Over Labor Day weekend, went out to Yosemite National Park with Rushley and my parents for some camping and also my cousin's wedding. We miraculously got a campsite, since it was crazy crowded. But, seriously, guys, I cannot tell you how beautiful it was! What an awesome park. It's a bit out of the way from anywhere, but so gorgeous and worth the trip.
The biggest thing from September, and maybe the whole year, is that I joined a curling league. Yes, curling, as in the Olympic ice sport popular in Canada. I now curl with my team once a week.
The biggest thing from September, and maybe the whole year, is that I joined a curling league. Yes, curling, as in the Olympic ice sport popular in Canada. I now curl with my team once a week.
Answers to common questions:
Yes it is on ice. No I don't wear skates. Yes there are special shoes, but I have not purchased them yet. Yes I sweep, but most players sweep. I also throw the first two stones. I play lead. I have dramatically improved from my stance in the photo below. It has been a great thing in my life to meet some new people and feel like I've committed to something locally. I also committed to go to a competition (bonspiel) in April. Wish me luck.
October
The biggest news is that I was released from my calling of Relief Society President in my YSA Ward. It had been a couple years, so it was time, but it has been an interesting experience getting my bearings in a calling-less situation in the church. I think it's made me appreciate more my personal relationship with God and the gospel. Understanding more why I go to church and what I get out of it personally. Who knows what the future holds, but it was a great experience.
Hit up Vegas with 11 other girls for a birthday weekend for a friend. We rented a house and it was pretty great. Saw Zakara and also randomly met up with some college roomies who happened to be visiting or live in Vegas.
Also co-chaired an extremely successful gala for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Utah: Chef & Child. Super fun, and you should all come next year!
Also co-chaired an extremely successful gala for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Utah: Chef & Child. Super fun, and you should all come next year!
November
Annual Welling Cousin Thanksgiving. Complete with no turkey and the addition of coulibiac.
I spent real Thanksgiving in Seattle, and it was perfect. Molly and I had a special Aunt Lacey outing to the Pacific Science Center where we started to watch an IMAX movie. It was Molly's first in a theater, and although the movie was about squirrels and mice and miniature animals, the fact that they were 30 feet tall and in 3-D was a little too much for this little. Although, if you ask her about it she will tell you she loved the mice and the cactus was all crazy.
Had a tasty meal and Steph even added my favorite green bean casserole which may now be a full-fledged tradition.
Had a tasty meal and Steph even added my favorite green bean casserole which may now be a full-fledged tradition.
December
Another trip to Phoenix for work. Also got to meet up with my friend John who moved down there this summer, and a little time with the grandparents as well.
Spent Christmas here in Utah with Rushley, Chan and the parentals. A nice quiet weekend with the family. Pretty perfect if you ask me.
As I reflect on this year, it seems so short, and also that so many things have changed. I have once again traveled a lot, and spent a lot of time with family. They are such a rock in my life and I am grateful for the strong relationships I have with them. As it rolls into 2016, there are some exciting things on the horizon. Some changes, some opportunities for improvement, and some of the continuing wonderful goodness I have in my life.




















You are awesome. I've been wanting to try curling. The Olympic oval does cosmic curling in the winter months, it sounds like a good time to me. :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like 2015 was good to you. We need to meet up sometime. For reals.