Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Each life that touches ours

I've been contemplating a lot on how or even if to write this post. I feel like I don't blog very often, so do I really want my latest post in over a month to be a bit of a downer? Nevertheless, I feel like this is the best way for me to think and feel and grieve for a lost friend. So, this post is really more for me than you. Please oblige, or just skip this one.

I found out this weekend that an elder from by MTC district passed away suddenly. He was only 24. He was so great. I just looked through some old photos, and they just make me smile and cry. It is crazy how being with people for only three weeks can still allow you to bond so deeply. I guess that is a big part of a mission. Anyway, I just love Elder Newson. He was like my little brother in the MTC. I was a bit older than the other sisters, and even more older than the elders, so many of them felt like little brothers, but Newson and I had a special bond. He was so much like my brother Lance. We just clicked. While these aren't all, below are some of my memories with him.

  • I remember making fun of his inability to get rid of his skater clothes, even for his mission. He wore a Volcom suit and Volcom shoes in the MTC. The soles were green and the lining of the suit was crazy, but it was so him.
  • I remember sitting together in the cafeteria after planning before bedtime, eating peanut butter and nutella toast (Reese's toast) and bonding with our district (and the Germans, they always came down too).
  • I remember laughing and joking in our district room. A needed break from continuous studying. Newson always had a funny thing to do or say.
  • I remember him spear-heading the planning for a road trip that was to happen in 2010. After everyone in our district had returned home and we would all vacation together to Mexico. Sadly, that didn't happen.
  • I remember sitting in the lobby of the MTC with him. Talking about life and the gospel. How life was before a mission, the power of God and the atonement and change.
  • I remember hearing about his success in the mission field. We were in neighboring missions, and I loved hearing that he was doing well.

Since being home, we have not been in touch as much, and now that makes me sad. But I hope he knows he was an important part of my life and time at the MTC. That his friendship, insight and example were something I needed while there.

Until we meet again, thank you for touching my life for good.


It just looks like that is my arm is around Newson in this picture.
He was one of my favorites, so maybe it was in spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment