Wednesday, May 29, 2013

All grown up

I spent this past weekend at home for my baby sister's high school graduation. Crazy that she has now graduated from high school. I still remember the night she was born...

I was in 4th grade. It was right after Thanksgiving, and I came home from school. My younger brothers were not with me (kindergarten? not exactly sure why), but Shayne was home (he was in middle school so, he got out earlier). He was playing on the computer (some typical text adventure game), and nonchalantly said, "Mom's having the baby, so you are going over to the Dixon's to stay." Back-up, my mom wasn't due until after Christmas. She still had a month to go, so I did what any know-it-all second child would do to her older sibling, I called his bluff. There was no way she was having the baby, she still had one more month, and all the evidence said I was right. But of course, I wasn't and he was telling the truth. Complications required an emergency cesarean. Mom and Dad would be involved in that, so I was going to stay with my friend's family for an indefinite amount of time, and they were coming to pick me up in less than an hour. Back-up a couple days, I had received a chain letter. On Chan's birthday, I still had to print it and mail it out or else... the unlikely terrible misfortune specifically outlined in the letter would befall me. Argument ensued for use of the computer, of which I do not at all remember the outcome. One could say all of my luck (good or bad) could be traced back to whether or not Shayne let me use the computer, but I honestly don't remember if he did or not, so he's off the hook, and I was off to Mel's. I remember when the parentals called to tell me she was born and named Chantry (no input from the other kids on the name, and I was super confused by the spelling) and she was ok. We went in to visit her and had to scrub up to our elbows to go into the NICU. She was so tiny, she fit in cabbage patch doll clothes.

And now she all grown up.
Still the baby of the family, still the shortest one, but she is so great. She has such a fun personality, and it has been wonderful to watch her grow up. For most of her life I have been living away, but I've been able to see her quite often. I love how she is passionate about things she likes. She never has to follow in anyone's footsteps. She follows her own path. She is headed over to BYU-Idaho now, and it will be such a great experience for her. I am excited to see how much she grows and changes. That first year away is so empowering. I am so excited to see everything she does!

Congratulations and good luck! Let the commencement of life begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment