Sunday, May 09, 2010

Why I'm still single...

So, I think I've figured it out. Or at least I have a few theories. Whether they're true, or just excuses is yet to be determined.

I realize that I have high standards. That is a factor in and of itself, of which I will not be discussing here. However, it leads to another factor. Because I have high standards, I pick and choose my friends. But not in the way that some people would. I don't care if you were cool in high school; I don't care if you were AP on your mission; I don't care if you're a genius. The biggest factors for me have to do with what is most important in your life.

Since I got home from my mission, I have lost a lot of the desire to do some of the things I used to love. The biggest being party (in the Mormon sense of the word). But really the idea of being thrown in a room with a bunch of people who have misplaced priorites, listening to music I don't enjoy, and watching people try to hook up, is not my idea of fun.

So, since this aspect of my former life has become almost obsolete, it is no longer an important thing. Albeit, I like to have a fun time, I just like it to be a little bit productive. And I want someone who wants that too.

So... I don't meet anybody new because I don't go to the aforementioned parties. However, the guys I want to date are not at those parties anyway, because they are busy doing productive things. Therefore, there is yet to be discovered a way to meet my dream guy.

But let's say, for the sake of argument that I magically met some of these amazing guys. Then comes the next problem. We have grown up in a self-centered society. And somehow in this world making fun of someone else magically elevates oneself. This then elevated person becomes somehow "cool." Then the cool person feeds on dealing out more criticism and biting remarks. The cool person becomes somehow fulfilled by making the uncool person even more uncool. We then have a constantly increasing void between the cool and uncool. I had hoped, in my naive way, that this ended after high school. Somehow being in the real world, I believed, would make people more selfless, more kind, and more caring. This is true with some people, but not all, and sadly not even most.

So, we still have the cool and the uncool. As I mentioned before, I'm not so into the so-called "cool" person. But these uncool people (and I would put myself in this category too) have been hurt by the constant degradation. Therefore, guys and girls that were once confident have lost their confidence, especially in dating. And therefore nothing happens.So, if I ever meet the man of my dreams, who knows how long it will take for him to even ask me out; while the "cool" people date and get married in a matter of months.

So, I remain single.

Nevertheless, I would much rather it be this way. I like the standards I have set, and no amount of longing to be "cool" will ever lower my expectations.

2 comments: