. (May 8, 2014) This Vietnamese restaurant is so close to my office. I drive past it every day on my way to work. Yet it took so long for me to actually go here. I had a lunch meeting and this is where my colleague suggested, specifically for some phó. While I love phó, I wasn't really feeling it that day, so opted for their chicken curry. Delicious. I stole this photo off the internet, as I am really bad at remembering to take pictures of my food before I eat it. While Vietnamese curry is similar to Thai curry, I think I like this better. Stronger, bolder flavors, an a nice little kick.
3. Flatbread Neapolitan Pizzeria. (June 14, 2014) In honor of my good friend Aubree's birthday (only a little over a month late) we went out to dinner at this
new pizza place in Sugar House. I've seen it for a while, but I haven't yet been there. They are in the process of renovating much of that area of town, and there have been random new restaurants popping up around. It is a cool little place in the heart of everything. When I asked our waiter what his favorite was, he very thoroughly walked me through the whole menu, like I couldn't read. he still never told me his favorites, but whatever. My friends got the sandwiches, and they looked delicious, and the flatbread was awesome. I got the Capricciosa pizza (Fior di Latte, San Marzano Pomodoro, Creminelli Prosciutto Crudo, Fresh Basil, Artichoke Hearts, Herbed Portobello Mushrooms, Kalamata Olives). It was pretty tasty. But truly, I am not the biggest fan of flatbread pizza. Give this girl deep dish and she is much happier. I'll probably go the sandwich route next time, but either way, great ingredients and great atmosphere. (Note: I realized while finding a link to this online that they also have a few of these in Boise, and I may have at one point been there, but I have no recollection of the food, and this is a new place in SLC, so it totally counts.)

4. The Garden Restaurant. (June 20, 2014) I remember going to The Roof on Temple Square as a kid, but I have no memory of the Garden, so I tried it while there for a wedding. I got the pesto margherita chicken (right). complete with mashed potatoes and cheese and all sorts of goodness. It was pretty amazing. We also ordered some deep fried pickles to share, and wow. Those are pretty awesome. I may have to go back just for those. Lovely pre-wedding lunch.
Photos courtesy of The Garden Restaurant because I eat my food too fast and forget to take photos of it.
5. Su Casa. (June 26, 2014) On our way to Arts Fest. It started raining that day, so we didn't want to walk down or take the train. Jessie reminded me I had always mentioned this place whenever we drove by, so we finally went. It was affordable Mexican food. Pretty basic menu. I got the tostada and a cheese enchilada. Delicious. Close to my house satisfaction for a Mexican food craving. I will likely go there again sometime.
6. Taqueria 27. (August 2, 2014) I have heard a lot of hype about this place, and wow, it actually lived up to it. I got the cirtus carnitas pork taco and the taco of the day which was buffalo chicken. So good! Spicy and perfect. My mouth is watering writing this. I also got the nachos to share and they were a major hit. My friends got the quesadilla and that was also amazing. Nothing bad. Nice atmosphere. Adding this to my list of SLC favs.
Again, no food pictures. I just forget!
7. Spitz. (August 12, 2014) I used to have kebabs all the time in England. Lits of immigrants from the mediterranean/middle eastern area in England. So when I heard this shop opened up in SLC specializing in the doner kebab, I knew I had to go. It took a long time, and it definitely didn't disappoint. First, the atmosphere is awesome. They had cards against humanity at every table, so we played a little while we waited for our food. I opted for the doner salad, which was delicious. We also got the street carte fries. All tasty. Adding this one as a favorite too. Thanks to Aubs for coming with me.
 |
| photo courtesy of the internet, via http://www.randomactsofkelliness.com/ |
8. Lucky 13. (Labor Day, September 1, 2014) I heard they had the best burgers in town. I can't say I know of another one, but I wasn't super amazingly impressed. I liked their creativity in the options for burgers. I got the bacon stinky burger, with blue cheese, which I love, but I think there may have been just a little too much cheese on it. My favorite burgers are usually pretty plain, with just the flavor of the meat. But if you like creative juicy burgers, delicious fries, and a fun bar atmosphere, this is a great place. I'll likely be back there at some point.
9. Dim Sum House. (October, 27, 2014) Once upon a time, there used to be a great sushi place relatively close to my house. A whole ago it shut down, and then got bought and changed to Dim Sum House. It had been on my list, so I went with my friend Emily. We ordered a lot of random things to try. Some delicious, some, not so much. Scallion pancakes; delicious. Pork Dumplings: NOT delicious. It was a good experience, but I don't think I will be going back there.
 |
| Scallion pancakes and sesame chicken. Both delicious. |
 |
| All the signs were in Chinese. |
 |
| Fried taro (Meh), and BBQ pork bun (YES!) |
 |
| Pork dumplings. Look weird. Smell weird. Taste weird. Not |
10. The Original Pancake House. (November 1, 2014) Brunch is one of my favorite meals. If I have a free Saturday morning, I am likely out to brunch. This weekend, my parents flew in for a day. We went to breakfast. Instead of taking them to one of my normal favs (which I am always so ensnared by) I decided to try something new, and mark this goal completed. I had heard much about the Original Pancake House in Sugar House. My friends who know I love brunch were surprised I had never been. So we changed that, and it did not disappoint. Got the biscuits and gravy: delicious. The parentals each got veggie scramblers (they are more healthy eaters than I am) and we all got a different kind of pancake: buttermilk, pumpkin, and sourdough. The pumpkin was sweet and delicious. The buttermilk were not as good as Penny Anne's heavenly hotcakes. But the sourdough were awesome. They were fluffy and different. I loved it. Definitely adding this to the list, but like every other brunch place in this city, got to go early, or prepare for a wait.

Overall, this was a great experience trying new places. There are some I will go back to in the future and have added to my list of favorites in SLC. Thanks to everyone who ate with me on this one.
Fun! What a variety of foods you tried! Good for you :)
ReplyDeleteI haven't heard of any of those places! The food looks so yummy. I just ate breakfast, but now I want to eat a plate of mexican, another of sesame chicken, and then I'll take that salad from Spitz. Oh, and a side of fries with fry sauce. :)
ReplyDelete-Steph