Monday, July 14, 2014

26. Swim in the Great Salt Lake

A report on one of my items from my 30-before-30 bucket list.

On Thursday I realized I had a free Saturday, so I emailed my fam and asked if they wanted to join me on a jaunt to the Great Salt Lake. It was a beautifully hot day, which was perfect for swimming.

We started out at the Fielding Garr Ranch for some Cowboy Poetry. This little guy, Cowboy Thatch, was 10 years old and totally adorable! He had some great poems and did great job reciting all from memory. Also, there was a snake under Jessie's chair, so we all had a minor freak out in the middle of one of his poems, but the other cowboy poet came down and saved us from being attacked by the nonpoisonous snake.

Then we headed over to the Island Buffalo Grill for some buffalo burgers. I was a little apprehensive, since I really don't like gamey meat, but the lady at the front said it wasn't gamey (she was right). Plus, really, when else would I ever try buffalo meat? So, I got it, and it was delicious!! It really just tasted like a normal burger, but with leaner meat. Good choice.

We then walked down to the beach. The water in the lake was really low. Or at least seemed that way. Therefore, the beach was crazy far out. There were some flies (not those gross biting gnats) and the lake smell on the water's edge, but when on the far side of the beach, or in the water itself, it was lovely!


So we waded in (pretty far to get deep enough) then we all sat down in the water. And that salt water is awesome for floating (not so awesome for after-swim residue). We just chilled and relaxed in the water. We skipped rocks and just hung out. That was my favorite part of the day; everyone just hanging out in the water. I think everyone was pleasantly surprised by the awesomeness of the lake, and I am so glad we did it. I didn't get any pictures of us in the water, because there is no way I was taking my phone close to that. But here we are on the beach.


Even cute pregnant Mackenzie got in. She loved the little brine shrimp, as her favorite animals of the day.

We also got to witness a lovely sunset. Such a beautiful place right in my backyard.



All in all, a wonderful trip to the beach, and my third island adventure in a week and a half.

2 comments:

  1. I was always very curious about that Lake. It smells so I never wanted to go in it... but then I hear from people who have actually been in it and it seems so nice. I guess I missed out on a Utah treasure :-) I'm glad to see your bucket list is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! Thanks for inviting us on this wonderful trip!! Also, that picture of us is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete