Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Not your run-of-the-mill feminist rant

I have always considered myself a type of feminist. Not the bra-burning type, although I was once accused of being such. No, rather the I-can-do-anything-I-want-to type. This has always meant going into the world, getting a great education, having a meaningful career, and making a difference. It has never meant "just being a mom."

Now, I know that so many of my wonderful friends and family will say that is a career, and that is making a difference, etc. I am in no way arguing those points. My point today is about the beauty of feminism, the way I see it... the I-can-do-anything-I-want-to type of feminsim. And I applaude you women who are moms and love it. Who accomplish this standard of feminism by doing exactly what you want to do. That is the beauty of this day and age. That we, as women are no longer required by society to be stay-at-home moms, but have the opportunity to make the choice to do so. How much more powerful can we be as mothers who actively choose to stay home with kids. I hope someday, despite my wonderful career and masters degree , I will make that choice as well.

And a thousand thanks to my wonderful mom who made that choice and has definitely made a difference in the lives of her five children.


No comments:

Post a Comment