There's a popular song that says: "Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars? I could really use a wish right now." Well... the pretending is over (not like it really did any good anyway).
We are now right in the middle of the beautiful Perseid meteor shower. The peak was actually the 12th of August, but these shooting stars will be able to be seen through the 24th.
I love these showers. Ever since I was a kid, I remember watching this late-summer cosmic phenomenon. My dad is quite the amateur astronomer, and we have often hosted a star party to watch this heavenly event. It was one of the few nights of the year we would get to stay up past 10 o'clock.But with my dad out of town, the star party didn't happen this year. Nevertheless, yesterday, my mom and I wrapped up to avoid mosquitos and went out to our trampoline. Some of the sky was coverd by the trees, but we were able to see so many meteors! We just lie there talking and looking, being continuously amazed at the awesome shooting stars. Some covered the entire sky.
For those of you who haven't had a chance to see this astronomical wonder, spend a bit of time in a sark area tonight. And maybe make some wishes on some real shooting stars.
No comments:
Post a Comment